Workforce Participation in Government Construction Procurement
The South Australian Government is committed to ensuring its procurement decisions support state and national efforts to increase workforce participation, skill development and social inclusion through employment of people from four target groups, and up-skilling on building and civil construction works throughout the state. The target groups are:
- Aboriginal people
- Trainees and Apprentices
- Local people with barriers to employment
- Displaced automotive industry workers
In summary, the policy requires government agencies to:
- inform tenderers and contractors for building and civil works over the relevant thresholds of the requirement to allocate 15% of labour hours to the employment and/or up-skilling of target groups for contracts up to $100 million; and 20% for contracts over $100 million.
- place information about the policy in all tender documentation and a binding set of WPGCP clauses in the contract documentation, for contracts covered by the policy;
- monitor contractor performance against the targets; and assist contractors if non-compliance becomes evident.
The policy requires contractors to:
- agree to meet the targets within the relevant tiers;
- provide a Workforce Participation and Skills Development Plan (Tier 1) or Strategy (Tier 2);
- provide information on the number of hours worked on-site by workers from the target groups at quarterly intervals throughout the contract and on completion of the contract; and nominate a person responsible for the coordination of employment and training required under this policy in the case of Tier 2 contract
Reporting Requirement for Contractors:
Please note that the Workforce Participation Reporting System (WPRS), has substituted the previous reporting mechanisms referenced in the policy and the implementation guidelines. Once an eligible contract is awarded, DPTI will set up the contractor in WPRS using contact details of the contractor's nominated staff; following registration, the nominated staff will receive log-in details to enter the system and provide the information as relevant.
Please direct enquiries to DPTI.Tenders@sa.gov.au