Flinders Link and Darlington Upgrade Projects – weekend road closures
17 January 2020
As part of works for the Flinders Link and Darlington Upgrade Projects, the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI) advises that various traffic restrictions will be in place in the Bedford Park area this weekend (17 – 20 January 2020).
Flinders Link – Girder installation 17 – 20 January
The Main South Road (northbound) surface road between Marion Road and Sturt Road will be closed from 8pm Friday, 17 January to 6am Monday, 20 January.
Steel beam bridge girders are required to be installed across Main South Road (northbound) surface road to form the base of the elevated bridge deck.
A detour for Main South Road (northbound) traffic will be in place via Marion Road and Sturt Road.
Darlington – Gantry installation 18 & 19 January (day works)
From 6am to 6pm Saturday, 18 and Sunday, 19 January, there will be restrictions in place for the Southern Expressway for gantry installation.
For southbound traffic the Southern Expressway, including the lowered motorway, will be closed between Tonsley Boulevard, St Marys and Sherriffs Road, Lonsdale.
For northbound traffic, the Southern Expressway will be closed from Sherriffs Road, Lonsdale, however northbound motorists will be permitted to use Main South Road for access to South Road and Ayliffes Road via the Southern Expressway (lowered motorway).
Darlington – Shepherds Hill/Ayliffes/South Road intersection works 18 – 20 January
Restrictions at the Shepherds Hill Road, Ayliffes Road and South Road intersection will be in place for resurfacing and utility service works from 6pm Saturday, 18 January to 6am Monday, 20 January.
- Access to Shepherds Hill Road from South Road will not be available. Motorists will be required to detour via Main South Road and Sturt Road.
- Access to South Road and Ayliffes Road from Shepherds Hill Road will not be available. Motorists will be required to detour via Sturt Road and Main South Road.
- Access to the Southern Expressway (lowered motorway) will not be available from South Road or Ayliffes Road, St Marys. Motorists will need to use the Main South Road on-ramp adjacent Flinders Drive.
- Ayliffes Road will be reduced to a single lane southbound.
Darlington – Southern Expressway (lowered motorway) traffic switch 20 January
Access to the Southern Expressway (lowered motorway) for southbound traffic will be available before the Tonsley Boulevard intersection, north of Quinlan Avenue from 6am Monday, 20 January.
As a result, both northbound and southbound traffic will be able to travel non-stop along the Southern Expressway (lowered motorway) between South Road at Tonsley and the existing Southern Expressway.
From: South Road, southbound to: Southern Expressway (lowered motorway)
- Southbound South Road traffic wanting to travel to the Southern Expressway will be able to travel into the new Southern Expressway (lowered motorway).
From: Southern Expressway (lowered motorway), northbound to: South Road
- Northbound Southern Expressway traffic wanting to travel to Tonsley Boulevard will be able to position themselves in the left lane of the Southern Expressway (lowered motorway), north of the Ayliffes Road bridge to exit onto South Road surface road for access to Tonsley Boulevard.
Flinders Drive access via Main South Road will remain unchanged. Access for emergency services will be maintained at all times during these works.
Motorists are asked to please plan ahead and allow extra travel time, take extra care when workers are on site and observe speed and lane restrictions and signage when travelling through the area.
For more information on the Flinders Link Project visit https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/infrastructure/major_projects/flinders_link
For more information on the Darlington Upgrade Project visit https://dpti.sa.gov.au/infrastructure/nsc/darlington_upgrade_project
Thank you for your patience while these important works are undertaken.