Improvements at Newton Road and Graves Street junction
17 July 2019
Early works are underway to improve road safety and traffic flow at the junction of Newton Road and Graves Street, Newton.
The upgrade will include:
- Installation of traffic signals
- Installation of a separate left turn and right turn lane on Graves Street, into Newton Road
- Installation of a new right turn lane on Newton Road, into Graves Street
- Relocation of the existing pedestrian crossing on Newton Road to the south of the junction
- Fully signalised pedestrian crossings at the new traffic signals
- Provision for cyclists, including a dedicated crossing for cyclists heading east, and storage for cyclists to safely turn right or head west from Graves Street with the traffic signals.
Day works will occur between the hours of 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday each week. Night works will occur between the hours of 7pm and 6am, from Sunday evening to Friday morning each week.
All roads will remain open to traffic, with a 25km/h speed restriction in place while workers are on-site. Lane and other speed restrictions may apply subject to onsite conditions.
The safety of workers and the general public is paramount, so please observe speed limits when travelling through work zones.
The $3.4 million project is an election commitment from the South Australian Government.
These improvements will reduce the risk of crashes and provide safer vehicle movements at the junction. Safety for pedestrians and cyclists will be improved by provision of fully signalised pedestrian crossings at the signals.
Major works are expected to commence in the fourth quarter of 2019, weather permitting.
DPTI thanks motorists for their patience while these important works are undertaken.