Skip to main content

Roadworks Portal FAQs

CONNECT - Message from the Chief Executive

Below is a list of Frequently Asked Questions relating to the The Department Roadworks Portal. If something is not listed, please contact us at


  • Verge - is the area behind the kerb excluding the footpath, or where no kerb exists, the area beyond the edge of seal, excluding the shoulder in a rural area or a footpath in an urban area
  • Footpath - a path at the side of a road or street for use by pedestrians. Footpaths may also be used by cyclists.
  • Shoulder – the part of the road generally formed with road base that is not designed for use by motor vehicles when travelling along the road.  For a sealed road, this includes any unsealed part of the road immediately beyond the edge of seal, and any sealed part of the road outside an edge line on the road.  The shoulder excludes bicycle paths, footpaths or shared paths.
  • Median - a dividing area, often raised or landscaped, between opposing traffic lanes on a road or highway.
  • Road reserve - the area between property fence-lines, within which facilities such as roads, footpaths etc are constructed.
  • Carriageway (also referred to as Roadway) - Is the portion of road devoted particularly to the use of vehicles, including the shoulders and auxiliary lanes. Motorways or divided roads are deemed dual carriageways.

Where do I find information relating to roadworks in the South Australian legislation or standards?

  • Roadwork information is covered within sections 17, 20 and 21 of the Road Traffic Act 1961 as well as in the SA Standards for Workzone Traffic Management, in addition to the Australian Standard AS1742.3.

How do I create a new job in the portal?

  • Visit and log into the portal and create a new permit request. Complete each section as specified. If the job is an emergency/urgent (ie to be actioned within 2 hours and completed within 24 hours) please call the Traffic Management Centre (TMC) on 1800 018 313 to log a job. You will need the contact details of whoever is declaring the job as urgent and call when onsite.
  • You must read and comply with ALL terms and conditions listed on your permit. Sometimes special conditions are added by the TMC so it is important to check each permit carefully. Copies of these are emailed to those listed in the job request. Failure to do so may result in prosecution. You must also have a copy of these on each worksite and must be able to produce a copy of them if requested by an authorised officer.
  • Road space should not be selected for more than 2 weeks at a time, unless absolutely necessary. If a job finishes early, please cancel the existing permit once complete.
  • All applications require a Traffic Management Plan (TMP) or a Traffic Guidance Scheme (TGS).
  • If the request relates to a Special or Community Event please attach an approved SAPOL notice, or email a copy to when received.
  • If this relates to a DIT project, please provide any project briefings or other useful information.
  • If you have had approvals in principal from the TMC – please include this correspondence.
  • If the road you are applying for is a single lane each direction road you can't apply for 1 lane closed - it must either be stop/go or contraflow/lateral shift.
  • Please note that a turn lane is still considered a lane of traffic, so this needs to be accounted for when applying for a permit.

How do I log on/off a job?

  • Each job needs to be logged on/off through the Roadworks App (preferable) or by calling the TMC on 1800 018 313.
  • Works cannot commence before or after the times specified on the permit (this includes setting up/packing up of any traffic management signage).
  • If the job goes for multiple days, you must log on/off of the job each day at the times specified on the permit.
  • You must also log off if leaving after care signage up.

How long will it take to get my permit request approved?

  • Requests will be processed during regular weekday business hours.
  • Applications should be made at least 3 business days before applied commencement dates.
  • If you are affecting DIT assets - eg trenching, asphalt works etc please allow at least 5 business days for Planning approval.

Is there a cost to apply for a permit?

  • No.

How do I get a new login for the Roadworks Portal?

My Portal username isn’t working, what can I do?

  • Firstly, check if the username is all in capitals and the password in all lowercase.
  • The Portal won’t let you log in if you have a Workzone Ticket number listed and it has expired. If you have a new WZTM please email the details to
  • The Portal also works better if you use Google Chrome or Firefox.
  • If you still can't login, email a copy of the error message (if one) to

Why can’t I plot my work site on the map?

  • If you look at the map and there are green lines on the road you require it means someone has already booked that section of road. If there is no bookings the road will be orange.
  • The portal currently doesn't allow multiple bookings on roads. Therefore if you see a green line on the road you require we recommend you book a date for 12/24 etc months in advance to get the date you need and then put a changed condition request through the portal once approved to bring it back to the correct year.
  • The TMC will then check who else has booked that section of road and a co-location can be arranged.
  • It could also not let a section of map be plotted because the section is too long. The portal currently only allows each work block to be a maximum of 500m in length. If you require longer you will need to plot multiple sites.
  • These points also cannot overlap, so you will need to get as close as you can to the previous point and plot from there.

What should I do if I no longer require my permit?

  • If you have completed your job earlier or the works are no longer required please cancel your permit by clicking on the ‘TMC request’ button and submitting a new TMC request to cancel the permit.

Why can’t I extend my permit?

  • Permits older than 14 days past the works original end date cannot be extended in the portal. Permits within that 2 week period can still be extended using the TMC Request function on the Portal.
  • Also, if you have applied for a TMC Request previously and didn't fill out the traffic flow information, this information can sometimes disappear from the portal and won't let you apply for an extension. Please ensure when requesting a TMC request that you fill out all the existing/proposed traffic flow information. If you are having issues contact

How do I know if my works are impacting on a DIT asset?

  • Impacting on DIT assets is only where you are digging/boring/trenching in/under the road or immediately parallel to the road in the verge and/or footpath.
  • Moving or installing road furniture, poles or pits, resurfacing the road or any other activity that may have a warranty to DIT.
  • This doesn’t include things such as reducing speeds, traffic management or driving on a road etc.

Do I need SAPOL approval for the special event I am organising?

  • Possibly. If closing a road or reducing speeds for certain events this will require a SAPOL approval notice.
  • If you are unsure, contact the TMC for clarification.

What times will I be restricted to on DIT roads?

  • Download a copy of the Roadworks Categories map (PDF 5MB) to see what times you can work on SA DIT roads.
  • Works on Bridges such as the Swanport, Joe Baluch, Murray Bridge, Paringa, Hindmarsh Island, Blanchetown, Kingston on Murray, Berri Bridge etc will have restricted working times. Contact for clarification.
  • Victor Harbor Road working times are only during non-peak times and will be assessed on a case-by-case basis depending on the works impact.
  • Works on roads in the Adelaide Hills will be restricted during Fire Danger Season and will have other special restrictions in place.
  • Please note the times listed on the map are indicative weekday work times for lanes closures with speeds at 25km/h (this is an overview guide and each application will be based on its own merits).

Under what conditions can I close 1 lane of traffic?

To close 1 lane of traffic on a 2 lane road - traffic volumes generally have to be:

  • Speeds at 25km/h = under 1,100 vehicles per hour
  • Speeds at 40km/h = under 1,500 vehicles per hour

If I require a stop/go set up as part of my work site, what at the general requirements?

Stop/go is generally permitted under the following conditions and only if there is under 600 vehicles per hour using that section of road and not during peak times. You must indicate on your permit request if you intend to utilise stop/go at all.

  • traffic must not be stopped for longer than 2 minutes.
  • after traffic has cleared or has been released, traffic must not be stopped again until any built up traffic has cleared.
  • Note – Stop/Go terminology is the same as “Stop/Slow”

How do I extend or change my permit?

  • If you need extend or change a permit, this can be done in the Roadworks Portal by opening the relevant permit and clicking on the ‘TMC request’ button and submitting a new TMC request to either extend the permit or change the conditions.
  • Please note the new dates/times won't appear until you close the little calendar icon.

How do I know if my job is an emergency job?

  • A job is deemed an emergency/urgent if it is required to be undertaken as a matter of urgency and will be actioned within 2 hours.
  • These permits can be arranged by calling the TMC on 1800 018 313 and are only valid for 24 hours. Be advised that there can be significant fines and possibly prosecution for falsely declaring an emergency if there isn't one.

Is a bike lane considered a lane of traffic?

  • No – however you must indicate this closure in the questions relating to impacting on bikes.
  • These closures will usually require a speed change to allow for cyclists and motor vehicles to mix.

When do I require a VMS and what are the requirements?

  • The TMC will advise if they believe you require VMS as part of your works. Generally it is for larger scale works with a big impact to traffic, or for longer than a week.
  • Needs to comply with DIT Operation Instruction 2.36 – Variable Message Signs -

  • Message length in low speed zones (≤ 80 km/h) - shall be limited to 2 pages with 3 lines of 18 characters (where spaces between words are counted as characters).
  • No single word should be greater than 15 characters.
  • In higher speed environments (> 80 km/h), messages should also be limited to 3 lines of 18 characters displayed in the following page formats:
    • Single page message – full use of available sign
    • Two page message - only 2 lines of text to be used on each page with no single word > 15 characters.
  • In terms of units of information there should be no more than 2 units of information per page. A unit of information may contain one to four words and is in the form of a problem, action, location, effect and attention statements.
  • Examples of a unit of information are DETOUR AHEAD, PREPARE TO STOP and LEFT LANE CLOSED.
  • Message Exposure Times Message times should be displayed for a minimum of whichever of the following is greatest:
    • 0.6 +/- 0.1 seconds per word
    • 1.5 seconds per unit of information
  • A blank display of 0.25 seconds duration is the maximum allowable time between each page but a shorter blank display time is preferred.


<Page 1>


5-6 JUNE

<Page 2>



Works on high speed roads/motorways

  • A speed limit of 60km/h must be implemented at a distance no greater than 500m from the rear of any stationary or slow moving vehicles queued as a result of the works. i.e traffic must be managed dynamically so that when the queue moves the signs/traffic management move as well.

Why do I need a permit if I’m only putting up advisory signage or VMS boards on the side of the road or footpath?

  • If you are working on a side road you will need approval from the relevant local council and apply through the Roadworks Portal for an 'Approval' (no impact to traffic). Please fill in the traffic impact information for the DIT road only, not the side road.
  • Even if there is no impact to traffic (eg speed reductions or lane closures), all signage (including VMS boards) that are to appear along a DIT road corridor (including on a footpath or median strip) that drivers on the road will see and follow instructions (such as ‘event ahead’, or ‘works on side road’) will need to be submitted through the Roadworks Portal.

What are the restrictions for working on/around a public holiday?

On most major metro roads in/out of Adelaide you cannot work past 12pm on the weekday before a long weekend or until after 12pm on the day after a long weekend. Roads include (but not limited to the below) for further information email

  • Bridge Rd
  • Briens Rd
  • Brighton Rd
  • Cross Rd
  • Fullarton Rd
  • Glen Osmond Rd
  • Goodwood Rd
  • Grand Junction Rd
  • Greenhill Rd
  • Hampstead Rd
  • Lonsdale Rd
  • Main North Rd
  • Marion Rd
  • North East Rd
  • Northern Expressway
  • Payneham Rd
  • Port River Expressway
  • Port Wakefield Rd
  • Portrush Rd
  • Salisbury Hwy
  • Sir Don Bradman Drv
  • South Rd
  • South Eastern Freeway (M1)
  • Southern Expressway
  • Sturt Hwy
  • Tapleys Hill Rd
  • Unley Rd
  • Victor Harbor Rd

What are the rules for working under the '20 minute rule'?

Please refer to section 8.2 of the SA WZTM Standards. Works must be completed within 20 minutes and must not be done during peak or clearway times.

What are the rules when using an Truck Mounted Attenuator (TMA)?

A TMA is a last line of defence for WZTM. If the works uses a TMA in a live trafficked lane, a shadow vehicle must be utilised providing advanced notice of a vehicle in a lane ahead. The placement of the shadow vehicle must not be in a live trafficked lane.

References can be found in the SA Standards for WZTM ( Section 7.2.7)

Where can I find WZTM Publications and Operational Instructions?

You can find all DIT Road and Traffic Management documents including all WZTM and useful Operational Instructions at:

How do I know which roads are DIT Roads?

You can use the Location SA website

  • Click Datasets (Top Right Corner)
  • Go to Infrastructure & Utilities, then Transport, then tick "State Maintained Roads".  This will now display all DIT Roads