Major construction works complete for Main South Road, Aldinga
26 April 2018
Major construction works for the upgrade of Main South Road, between Old Coach Road and Malpas Road, are now complete.
The safety driven project was conducted to reduce the number and severity of serious and minor injury crashes at this location.
This section of Main South Road, between Old Coach Road and Malpas Road, has annual average daily traffic of approximately 17,900 vehicles per day and the upgrade will support future increases in road use and improve traffic flow.
The project has delivered the following safety improvements:
- A new roundabout at the junction of Port Road and Main South Road with a dedicated left slip lane for northbound vehicles from Port Road.
- U-turn facility north of Malpas Road.
- A three metre wide centre traffic median between Port Road and Malpas Road with central wire rope safety barrier.
- Extension of the Main South Road left turning lane into Malpas Road.
- Road widening and resurfacing, improved road lighting, road signage and line marking.
- A shared user path crossing at Main South Road to facilitate cycling and walking between Aldinga and Willunga.
- Pedestrian and cyclist access improvements at the roundabout.
- A reduction of the speed limit from 100 km/h to 90 km/h between Seaford Heights and Little Road; from 80 km/h to 70 km/h between Little Road and Hart Road; and from 100 km/h to 90 km/h between Hart Road and Sellicks Hill (which is further south of this project).
Finishing works, including final lighting and landscaping, are currently taking place and are expected to be completed mid-year.
During the final works, all roads will remain open to traffic with a 25 km/h speed restriction in place while workers are on site.
Lane and other speed restrictions may apply subject to on site conditions and road users are requested to observe signage and follow the advice of traffic management staff.
For more information visit the project website at https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/infrastructure/road_projects/main_south_road_upgrade_-_old_coach_road_to_malpas_road.