Skip to main content

How to object

Objecting to a property valuation

If you disagree with the statutory valuation of your property you must submit a written objection.

You can lodge an objection if you consider:

  • the property value is too high; or
  • the property value is too low.

There is no fee for lodging an objection.

For further information or clarification about objecting please phone 1300 653 346 or email

How to lodge an objection

You must lodge your objection with the Office of the Valuer-General within 60 days of receiving your first rates notice for the financial year from your local council, SA Water or Revenue SA.

Objecting to the property value

You must confirm what it is that you are objecting to - site value, capital value or both valuations. If you wish to object to both site and capital value or lodge an objection for multiple properties, you need to complete and lodge a separate form for each value and property.

Objecting to the amount of rates and taxes payable

If you want to object to the amount payable which appears on your rates notice you need to contact the relevant rating authority - Local Council, SA Water or Revenue SA.

1. Complete the form

You can start an online submission and save it for completing later. Saved applications are kept for 14 days before being automatically deleted.

Start now or Edit a saved application

Post, email or fax
Download and complete the relevant form
2. Lodgement

Send the form and any supporting documentation to:

Office of the Valuer-General
GPO Box 1354
Adelaide SA 5001


Fax: 8115 5709

I can’t open the forms

If you are experiencing problems opening the forms:

As a minimum, you will need to have Windows 7 or above and Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.  You might need to update your pc or browser settings.

  • right click on the hyperlink that points to the relevant form
  • select the save target as or save link as option depending on your browser, to save the form to your desired location, e.g. your desktop.
  • once saved, you should be able to open the form
I’ve tried 'save as' and I still can’t open the forms

There are a number of localised settings on your computer which might restrict your ability to access the Objection Forms - e.g. your 'Pop-up blocker' might be turned on.

If you have the correct software and are still experiencing issues opening the forms after trying the 'save as' option, you could try accessing the forms using a different browser.  Internet Explorer is the recommended browser.

You can also phone 1300 653 346 and request an objection form be posted.

3. Objection outcome

The Office of the Valuer-General will notify you of their decision in writing. If you are dissatisfied with the objection outcome you can request a review.

Appealing Objection Decision

If you are dissatisfied with the objection decision made by the Valuer-General, you have 21 days to appeal the decision (from receipt of you receiving the Valuer-General's objection advice).  There are two ways to appeal:

  • Review Valuer - apply for an independent review by a valuer appointed to a panel by the Governor under the Valuation of Land Act 1971 - Application for Review of Valuation and/or
  • South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT) - to apply online or for more information visit:

Important things you need to know:

  • Both the Review by Valuer and SACAT processes can result in a valuation being  confirmed (maintained), increased or decreased and the Valuer-General is bound by this decision.
  • If the independent review determines that the value should be reduced by an amount greater than 10% of the Valuer-General's original value,  the application fee will be refunded.
  • In the case of Review by Valuer, the Valuer-General has the right to seek a subsequent review of this decision through an application to SACAT.
  • SACAT's decision is binding by both parties unless either seeks leave to appeal to the Supreme Court.