What is Rail Safety Work?
Rail Safety Work is defined within S.8(1) of Rail Safety National Law (RSNL) as work which includes:
- Driving or despatching rolling stock or any other activity which is capable of controlling or affecting the movement of rolling stock.
- Signalling (and signaling operations), receiving or relaying communications or any other activity which is capable of controlling or affecting the movement of rolling stock.
- Coupling or uncoupling rolling stock.
- Maintaining, repairing, modifying, monitoring, inspecting or testing:
- Rolling stock, including checking that the rolling stock is working properly before being used.
- Rail infrastructure.
- Installation of components in relation to rolling stock.
- Work on or about rail infrastructure relating to the design, construction, repair, modification, maintenance, monitoring, upgrading, inspection or testing of the rail infrastructure or associated works or equipment, including checking that the rail infrastructure is working properly before being used.
This does not include those persons who are engaged in the actual drawing aspect of design work and undertake their task mainly within an office environment.
- Installation or maintenance of:
- A telecommunications system relating to rail infrastructure or used in connection with rail infrastructure.
- The means of supplying electricity directly to rail infrastructure or to any rolling stock using rail infrastructure or to a telecommunications system.
- Work involving certification as to the safety of rail infrastructure or rolling stock or any part or component of rail infrastructure or rolling stock.
- Work involving the decommissioning of rail infrastructure or rolling stock or any part or component of rail infrastructure or rolling stock.
- Work involving the development, management or monitoring of safe working systems for railways.
e.g. Rail Rules Manager, Safety Advisors, Safety Auditors.
- Work involving the management or monitoring or passenger safety on, in or at any railway.
e.g. Network Operations Supervisor, Conductors, Security Personnel, Rolling Stock Engineering / Maintenance Workers.
Please refer to the FAQ Page for further information on what is Rail Safety Work as well as further details on the minimum competency and induction requirements.
If you have any questions or need more information please contact our Rail Network Access Team on 0408 312 340 or email email@example.com.