Check weather and tell others before holiday boating
6 June 2019
Boaters are reminded to check the weather and to let someone know before heading out on the water this June long weekend.
It's vital to always let someone know where you are going, your point of departure, when you plan to return and the number of passengers with you. You can also log your journey with a Volunteer Marine Rescue group.
Coastal water forecasts provide information about conditions that may affect safe boating.
Take note of forecasts indicating reduced visibility from fog or rain, or risks to safety and comfort from thunderstorms, lightning or squall conditions.
Five vital checks before a day on the water
- Are there any current warnings for your boating area?
- Are there weather conditions affecting safe navigation and comfort?
- What are the wind trends?
- What are the wave conditions?
- When is the next high and low tide?
More information about being safe on the water and checking the weather: