Oil or pollution spill: who do you call?

5 December 2013

As the weather warms and more people take to the water in their boats, they are reminded to be aware of what they need to do and who they need to call if they see an oil or pollution spill on any of the State’s waters.

Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI) Senior Transport Safety Compliance Officer, Philip Moffatt urges anyone venturing out on to the water to be vigilant in reporting oil or pollution spills.

"South Australia has 5067 kilometres of coastline (mainland and island) and our diverse coast and marine environment is among the State’s most valuable assets," he said.

"One of the most serious risks to our marine environment is from oil pollution or other hazardous substances."

"If you see pollution from a vessel or notice oil on any State waters please contact the Signal Station on (08) 8248 3505 or Radio Channel 12."

"Any incidents reported are investigated and followed up."

When reporting a spill it is important to provide:
- your name and contact details
- where and when the pollution occurred
- the type of discharge or a description of the pollutant
- the extent or size of the area where the pollution is visible
- the source of pollution
- vessel registration numbers if you can identify them

Mr Moffatt said there are a number of different responses that may be employed to resolve an incident.

"This could include allowing the fuel to dissipate naturally through evaporation, agitation of the water or use of specialist recovery equipment," he said.

"Specialist oil spill equipment is strategically located in regions along the entirety of the South Australian coastline."

For more information visit www.sa.gov.au/boatingmarine

For a free copy of the South Australian Recreational Boating Safety Handbook or the Kayaks and Canoes Safety Reference Guide please telephone 1300 183 046, or email dpti.recreationalboatingunit@sa.gov.au

oil spill