Heysen Tunnel routine maintenance works
8 October 2019
Motorists are advised that upcoming essential safety maintenance works in the Heysen Tunnels will require two partial closures and one full detour in the coming weeks.
The maintenance works are for electrical systems within the tunnels, including the ventilation, lighting, fire detection and emergency management systems.
Every effort will be made to reduce the impact on motorists, with all the works being conducted during off-peak times.
Associated traffic restrictions are as follows:
Thursday, 10 October (Night)
- Two Adelaide-bound tunnel lanes will be closed between 7pm and 3am (Friday, 11 October).
- Two Crafers-bound tunnel lanes will be closed between 9.30pm and 3am (Friday, 11 October).
Wednesday, 30 October (Day)
- One Crafers-bound tunnel lane will be closed between 9am and 3pm.
- One Adelaide-bound tunnel lane will be closed between 9:30am and 4:30pm.
Friday, 1 November (Night)
- Adelaide-bound traffic will be detoured via Eagle on the Hill from 7pm until 8am (Saturday, 2 November).
- Crafers-bound traffic will be diverted into one lane of the Adelaide-bound tunnel from 9:30pm until 8am (Saturday, 2 November).
Emergency vehicles will have access to the tunnels at all times.
Speed restrictions will be in place while the maintenance work is undertaken, with signage to advise motorists of the changed conditions.
The safety of workers and the general public is paramount so please observe speed limits when travelling through work zones.
For more about Heysen tunnel routine maintenance works, please visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9DQcq7F268&t=6s
The Department of Planning, Transport, and Infrastructure thanks motorists for their patience.