Major construction set to begin on $80 million City Tram Extension Project
18 Sep 2017
The Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI) will begin major construction works for the City Tram Extension Project, commencing 1 October 2017.
Major traffic restrictions will be implemented along North Terrace from 1 October to 16 October 2017, weather permitting.
During these works, the following restrictions will be in place:
- North Terrace between King William Street and East Terrace – traffic will be restricted to one lane in each direction.
- Right turns into businesses, side roads and at all intersections along North Terrace will be temporarily restricted. This includes the Kintore Avenue/Gawler Place, Pulteney Street and Frome Road intersections.
- At the Frome Road intersection, traffic will be allowed to travel north-south and all left turn movements will be permitted, except for the weekend of 6-9 October 2017, when only left turns will be permitted.
- Traffic travelling south on Kintore Avenue will only be permitted to turn left at North Terrace.
- On-street car parking will be removed along North Terrace.
During these works, the King William Street intersection with North Terrace will remain open. Work will be undertaken 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to minimise disruption.
Access for pedestrians will be maintained along North Terrace. Pedestrian and cyclist access across North Terrace, will be provided at key locations.
Motorists wishing to travel east-west through the CBD are encouraged to use the Inner City Ring Route (A21) using Hackney Road, Park, Robe and Fitzroy terraces and Port Road.
Tram services will not be affected.
Some bus services that travel along North Terrace and/or King William Street will be diverted. Some bus stops along North Terrace have been temporarily relocated. Please visit www.adelaidemetro.com.au/ for full details.