New Minister for Road Safety among Cabinet changes
19 January 2016
Two new Ministers have been sworn in to State Cabinet, including Peter Malinauskas, who has been appointed Minister for Road Safety.
Mr Malinauskas has been appointed Minister for Police, Emergency Services, Correctional Services and Road Safety.
Leesa Vlahos has been appointed as Minister for Disabilities as well as Minister for Mental Health and Substance Abuse.
Premier Jay Weatherill said the reshuffle provides South Australia with the best possible team to tackle the challenges that confront the State.
Other changes to portfolios announced today include:
- Kyam Maher has been named the Leader of Government Business in the Legislative Council, and gains Science and Information Technology and Employment (from Gail Gago)
- Susan Close picks up Higher Education and Skills (from Ms Gago)
- Martin Hamilton-Smith adds Small Business (from Tom Koutsantonis)
- Stephen Mullighan takes on Housing and Urban Development (from John Rau)
- The new portfolio of City of Adelaide is recognition of Mr Rau’s coordination of the Vibrant City agenda while Business Services and Consumers complemented his Liquor Licencing reforms.
- Zoe Bettison gains the Status of Women portfolio from Ms Gago.
Mr Weatherill said the central focus of the new Cabinet would be about creating jobs and transitioning the State’s economy.
Chris Picton has also been appointed Assisting Minister to the Treasurer and Katrine Hildyard will continue as Assistant Minister to the Premier with additional responsibility for Status of Women.