Changes to council boundaries
South Australian Local Government Boundaries Commission
On 1 January 2019, the South Australian Local Government Boundaries Commission was formed, as the independent body that assesses and investigates council boundary change proposals, and makes recommendations to the Minister.
The Commission's responsibilities and procedures are set out in the Local Government Act 1999 (Chapter 3, Part 2), which can be accessed via the South Australian Legislation website. The Commission has also prepared Guidelines that detail the process by which it will receive, assess and progress council boundary change proposals.
Sometimes there is confusion between council boundaries and boundaries under planning legislation. Details of planning boundaries and policy can be found at www.saplanningportal.sa.gov.au.
Guidelines for preparing a proposal
- Guideline 1 - General Information (PDF 124 KB)
- Guideline 2 - Administrative Proposals (PDF 98 KB)
- Guideline 3 - General Proposals - Submitting a Proposal to the Commission (PDF 106 KB)
- Guideline 4 - General Proposals - Investigations (PDF 96 KB)
- Guideline 5 - General Proposals - Appointing Investigators (PDF 79 KB)
- Guideline 6 - Public Initiated Submissions (PDF 425 KB)
- Guideline 7 - Public Initiated Submissions - Alteration to the Composition or Representative Structure of a Council (PDF 117 KB)
- Guideline 8 - Costs (PDF 77 KB)
- Guideline 9 - Engagement and Consultation (PDF 99 KB)
Note: Guideline 6 was amended on 11 February 2019 to clarify how groups and body corporates should be considered to determine the prescribed number of eligible electors. Guideline 6 was also amended on 25 September 2019 to clarify submission requirements for proposals initiated by members of the public. These submissions must now nominate an eligible elector, or a small group of eligible electors, to submit the proposal on behalf of the wider group, and to be the chief contact point for the Commission. Public initiated submissions must also contain details of discussions that have been held with all relevant councils.
GPO Box 2329 Adelaide SA 5001
Phone: (08) 7109 7443