Changes to council boundaries
Local Government (Boundary Adjustment) Amendment Act 2017
The procedures for council boundary changes are set out in the Local Government Act 1999 (Chapter 3, Part 2), which can be accessed via the South Australian Legislation website. The Boundaries Commission, the independent body that assesses and investigates boundary change proposals, and makes recommendations to the Minister responsible for the Act, has prepared Guidelines that detail the process by which it will receive, assess and progress council boundary change proposals.
Sometimes there is confusion between council boundaries and boundaries under planning legislation. Details of planning boundaries and policy can be found at www.saplanningportal.sa.gov.au.
Guidelines for preparing a proposal
- Guideline 1 - General Information (PDF 124 KB)
- Guideline 2 - Administrative Proposals (PDF 98 KB)
- Guideline 3 - General Proposals - Submitting a Proposal to the Commission (PDF 106 KB)
- Guideline 4 - General Proposals - Investigations (PDF 96 KB)
- Guideline 5 - General Proposals - Appointing Investigators (PDF 79 KB)
- Guideline 6 - Public Initiated Submissions (PDF 129 KB)
- Guideline 7 - Public Initiated Submissions - Alteration to the Composition or Representative Structure of a Council (PDF 117 KB)
- Guideline 8 - Costs (PDF 77 KB)
- Guideline 9 - Engagement and Consultation (PDF 99 KB)
Note: Guideline 6 was amended on 11 February 2019 to clarify how groups and body corporates should be considered to determine the prescribed number of eligible electors.
GPO Box 2329 Adelaide SA 5001
Phone: (08) 7109 7145