Skip to main content

Road Names

Public roads are the responsibility of the local councils. They name and maintain all public roads, including:

  • roads
  • streets
  • laneways
  • walkways
  • right of way thoroughfares.

Local councils have guidelines to help select suitable road names and types, and how they can be set or changed. For an alternative version of this document contact Land Services

Roads outside council districts are under the care of the Highways Commissioner.

Private roads are where some title other than the council still exists. This may be a legacy of the way the road was originally created. Under the Local Government Act 1999 these roads can be declared public.

You can find out if a road is public or private by:

Road names are not recorded in the State Gazetteer. If you have a questions about roads opening and closing contact the Roads Unit for information.

Contact your local council if you are:

  • interested in changing the name of a public road
  • interested in purchasing or accessing part of a public road
  • trying to determine if a road is public or private
  • enquiring about changing a private road to a public road.

Outback road names

To make properties in outback areas easier to find, the government has renamed most outback roads.

This will:

  • assist emergency services - eg ambulance, and other service providers to find properties
  • improve the delivery of services - provide a certainty of location and a recognised address that can be understood nationally.

How names were chosen

Renaming roads followed these principles:

  • eliminated dual directional road names - eg Iron Knob - Puddle Holes Dam Road
  • the furthest homestead name was commonly used to rename the entire road from the main road where possible
  • when an outback road continues into a council area, the council's road name was used where practical - e.g. Yednalue Road.

Rural road maps showing proposed names

Road signs

Existing signage to homesteads will remain. New signs for renamed roads will be installed when the existing sign is replaced as part of routine road maintenance.

Road name address notifications

Local councils have the authority to name public and private roads, streets and places. This includes assigning new names or changing a current name.

All names must be assigned in accordance with the guidelines for the selection of names for roads SA.

When considering renaming a road, street or place you should consider the effect of the change on the community.

Immediate notification of a name change or assignment must be given to the:

  • Surveyor-General
  • Registrar-General
  • Valuer-General.

The public must be given notice of the change or assignment of a name. If renaming a road or street that runs into the area of an adjoining council at least two months notice must be given to the relevant council before the name change takes place.

Rename or assign a name to a street, road or place

To rename or assign a name to a street, road or place the council needs to:

Assign or change an address

To assign or change an address the council needs to:

Road opening and closing proposals

The closing of public roads and opening of some public roads in South Australia are regulated by the Roads (Opening and Closing) Act 1991. The process is managed by the local council, while the Surveyor-General ensures the process complies with the Act.

A 28-day public consultation process happens where people who are impacted by a road opening or closure can lodge an objection against the road being closed or make an application for easement rights.

To view the Roads (Opening and Closing) Act 1991 click here

To view current proposals click here