Skip to main content


Subdividing land

The process for subdividing land can be time-consuming, complex and expensive. You can choose to submit the application yourself but as this is a complex process it is strongly recommended you get a professional licensed surveyor and a conveyancer or solicitor to:

  • determine the planning and development requirements
  • draft plans
  • lodge all applications and necessary paperwork
  • monitor the progress of the application
  • help explain the land division process

Contact the State Commission Assessment Panel (SCAP) for more advice and information.

A surveyor will prepare the plan and necessary paperwork to lodge with SCAP and a conveyancer or solicitor will prepare the necessary application to be lodged in the Lands Titles Office (LTO).

All plans of division must be prepared according to the Plan Presentation Guidelines and the relevant LTO application must satisfy the Real Property Act, 1858 and LTO requirements.

For information on how to lodge an application for subdividing land to SCAP see Submitting development applications.

Once lodged, you can check the status of your subdivision application online through the Land Division Application Search using either your unique ID number or development application number.

Fees you may need to pay

As well as the lodgement fees for the SCAP and LTO, and the fees charged by a professional surveyor and conveyancer, there are other fees you may be charged when subdividing land.  

SA Water may charge fees to connect the new allotments to water and sewerage mains. The amount payable will depend on:

  • the current location of the mains
  • the number of allotments and their distance from the mains
  • whether any internal drains will need to be relocated or altered to accommodate the new allotments.

You may have to pay for the connection or alteration of electricity supplies to the new allotments. SA Power Networks (previously ETSA Utilities) will be able to provide advice and information about these charges.

You may be expected to pay an open space contribution fee. Large subdivisions of land into multiple allotments must set aside at least 12.5% of the land for use by the general community - eg as a park.

For smaller subdivisions this is impractical and a payment of an open space contribution fee may be required instead. The amount is based on the number of additional allotments to be created and the current rate set by regulations. These fees are payable to the Planning and Development Fund.

What to do if your application is refused

An application may be refused because:

  • the subdivision is contrary to your council's development plans
  • it's in a rural area not intended for subdivision
  • the area of the land is deemed as too small for its proposed use.

In most cases, you will have a right to appeal this decision. The SCAP will be able to provide advice about why your application was refused and your rights around appealing the decision.

How to Lodge Applications and Pay Fees


Surveyors and their agents can lodge land division applications through the EDALA lodgement register.

Start now or apply for access to EDALA.

Fees for the lodgement of land division applications can be paid through EDALA using the Lodgement fee payment option.

By post

Land Services Office
Department of Infrastructure and Transport
GPO Box 1815
Adelaide SA 5001

In person

Department of Infrastructure and Transport
Level 5, 50 Flinders Street
Adelaide SA 5000


Fees are payable at the time of lodgement by:

  • cheque made out to the State Commission Assessment Panel
  • credit card (Visa or MasterCard only).

For payment by phone (Visa and MasterCard only) - 1800 752 664 (option 5).


For more information about lodgements and fees contact Planning contacts - Planning services.

Development Application Fees

Development application fees

Online land division lodgement, referrals and decisions (EDALA) application

The electronic development application lodgement and assessment system (EDALA) provides online access for development application lodgement and information about land divisions for planning and development professionals, industry, councils and state government agencies.

Functions of EDALA

The EDALA system enables:

  • lodgement of development applications and payment of fees by surveyors and their agents
  • referral to and reporting by state agencies
  • council and State Commission Assessment Panel decisions
  • lodgement of final plans
  • final State Commission Assessment Panel certificates of approval
  • Lands Titles Office verification
  • application monitoring and progress reporting for the industry.

Access to EDALA

Lodgement using EDALA

To access the EDALA lodgement register, you need to apply for an organisation ID number, username and password. To apply, email or call 7109 7016 with your:

  • name
  • job title
  • company name
  • phone number
  • email address

EDALA lodgement register

Searching the Development Application Public Register

The public register can be used to search and follow the progress of land division applications. The public register does not require a log-in or password.

Search the public register

Paying fees using EDALA

Fees for lodgement of land division development applications and open space contributions can be paid through the EDALA public register. For lodgement fees use 'Lodgement Fee Payment'. For open space contributions use 'Other Fee Payment'.

Pay fees using EDALA