Goodwood, Springbank and Daws Road Intersection Upgrade
About the project
Goodwood Road is one of southern Adelaide’s major north-south arterial routes, with Springbank Road and Daws Road providing a key east-west connection.
On average more than 60,000 vehicles a day travel through this location, with travel time delays in peak periods.
There have been 35 crashes in the past five years, including 14 casualty crashes.
The Department for Infrastructure and Transport (DIT) will be upgrading the intersections of Springbank, Daws and Goodwood Roads to improve safety and travel times for motorists.
Once complete, the upgrade will improve connectivity, capacity and safety for all users.
Prior to finalising the current design, the department investigated multiple options for this intersection. Following community feedback, new data and detailed costings, a realigned four-way intersection will be delivered.
The $61 million project is jointly funded (50:50) by the Australian and South Australian governments. Major construction works for the intersection upgrade commenced in late January 2021, with project completion expected in late 2021, weather permitting.
The successful tenderer for the major works contract on the Goodwood, Springbank and Daws Road Intersection Upgrade is BMD Constructions.
The current proposed treatments for the new four-way intersection are:
- Road widening on Goodwood Road to provide three through lanes southbound and a left turn onto Springbank Road.
- Road widening on Goodwood Road to provide dual right turn lanes onto Daws Road.
- Road realignment on Daws Road to provide two through lanes onto Springbank Road, and a left turn onto Goodwood Road (northbound).
- Road realignment on Daws Road to provide dual right turn lanes onto Goodwood road (southbound).
- Road realignment on Springbank Road to provide two through lanes onto Daws Road, and dual right turn lanes onto Goodwood road (northbound).
- Road realignment on Springbank Road to provide dual controlled left turn lanes onto Goodwood Road (southbound).
- Extension of dual right turn lanes from Goodwood Road onto Springbank Road.
- Road widening on Goodwood Road to allow for an additional through lane northbound, and a left turn onto Daws Road.
- Upgraded pedestrian crossings within the intersection, including new pedestrian crossing and lights.
- New and upgraded pedestrian ramps and footpaths around the intersection.
- New and upgraded traffic signals and road lighting.
- Dedicated bicycle lanes on the approaches and through the intersection.
- New kerb and gutter where road realignment and widening is occurring.
Please note, this is an artist's impression for illustrative purposes only and not a final design. For further detail download a copy of the current plan.
DIT COVID-19 Response
The Department will continue to tailor community engagement opportunities in line with the latest COVID-19 advice from health authorities.
Face-to-face engagement opportunities may be restricted and we will continue to be guided by the advice of health authorities, with the health and safety of our stakeholders always our highest priority.
Engagement with community and industry is crucial and we will facilitate information sessions as much as possible to enable face to face engagement. It is important to assist in managing these events that you register as requested to enable physical distancing as much as possible.
Proposed landscaping plan and roadworks progress
As part of the project’s proposed landscaping plan and roadworks progress, DIT held an information session at the Colonel Light Gardens RSL on Monday, 3 May 2021, between 6.30pm and 7.30pm.
All feedback received from the community is being reviewed and will be considered by the project team.
For further information download a copy of the proposed landscaping plans.
Early engagement and community feedback
As part of the project’s early concept design and review process, DIT held two information sessions to meet members of the community and seek feedback.
The information sessions were held at the Colonel Light Gardens RSL on Wednesday 23 October 2019, between 5.30pm and 7.30pm and Saturday 26 October 2019, between 1.00pm and 3.00pm.
In addition to the information sessions, the community were invited to provide their feedback via the YourSAy platform. This consultation commenced on Wednesday 30 October 2019, and concluded on 29 November 2019.
All feedback received from the community was reviewed and considered by the project team and as a result the concept design has been updated to include:
- Left turn slip lane from Springbank Road onto Oxford Circus;
- Left turn slip lane from Daws Road onto Springbank Secondary College car park;
- Left turn slip lanes on Goodwood Road and Daws Road updated to remove control and improve efficiency;
- Upgrade of the existing ‘Koala’ crossing on Daws Road to a pedestrian actuated (push button) crossing (PAC);
- Define the border of Oxford Circus Reserve and the new road reserve on Springbank Road to retain heritage value of Colonel Light Gardens; and
- U-turn facility on Daws Road to assist with accessing the Springbank Secondary College.
Receiving feedback from the community is important and will continue to help inform the development of the design, with early works commencing in March 2020, and major construction expected to commence late 2020. Project completion is expected by the end of 2021, weather permitting.
Night works will be undertaken from Sunday, 16 May 2021, through to Friday 18 June, 2021, weather permitting.
Hours of work are between 7pm and 6am, Sunday to Friday. No works will be undertaken on Saturday nights.
The next stage of work is:
- The installation of drainage along Goodwood Road, just north of the new intersection.
- The laying of new asphalt along Goodwood Road, between just south of Jamestown Avenue and Rockville Avenue, and along Springbank Road, between Goodwood Road and Daniels Road.
While the majority of works will be undertaken during the day, night works are required to minimise the impact to road users and to ensure the works can be completed safely and efficiently.
Some noise disturbance can be expected at times while these works are completed, however, the work will be managed to minimise disturbance to nearby residents and businesses as much as practically possible.
Speed and lane restrictions will also be in place during these works.
The new intersection will remain open to traffic at all times other than on Monday, 7 June 2021 and Tuesday, 8 June 2021 from 7pm to 6am when access to Springbank Road will be closed between Daniels Road and the new intersection. Local access will be maintained at all times for residents, buses and emergency services vehicles.
For further information please view the latest project notification.
Major construction on the intersection upgrade commenced in February 2021, with project completion expected by the end of 2021, weather permitting.
For further information
If you have any further enquiries or would like to register your interest in the project, please visit the Registration, Feedback and Suggestions page, email email@example.com or telephone 1300 765 699.