Main North Road, Kings and McIntyre Roads Intersection Upgrade
About the project
The Australian and South Australian Governments have committed $13 million in joint funding to upgrade the Main North Road, Kings and McIntyre Roads Intersection. The upgrade is expected to support approximately 16 full time equivalent jobs per year, over the life of the project.
Main North Road is a major traffic and freight route that connects the northern parts of metropolitan Adelaide with Adelaide’s Central Business District. The current intersection is operating at capacity in peak periods, with signal phasing and traffic lanes fully utilised, creating congestion.
On average, more than 81,600 vehicles travel through the intersection each day. Increased development in the immediate vicinity will further increase the use of the intersection.
There have been 77 crashes in the past five years, including 27 casualty crashes.
The Department for Infrastructure and Transport will be upgrading the intersection to improve safety and travel time for motorists.
Major construction works for the intersection upgrade commenced in late January 2021, with project expected to be completed in mid-2021, weather permitting.
The current proposed treatments for the intersection upgrade include:
- widening of Main North Road, with the installation of an additional right turn lane into McIntyre Road, and three through lanes heading north on Main North Road;
- installation of additional through lane on Main North Road between Freda Thompson Place and Kings Road (north-east bound);
- installation of additional through lane on Main North Road between McIntyre Road and Kesters Road (south-west bound);
- extension of dual right turn lanes heading north-east from McIntyre Road onto Main North Road Road;
- separation of left turn traffic from Main North Road onto Kings Road and left turn traffic from Kings Road onto Lawrence Hargrave Way;
- new and upgraded pedestrian ramps and footpaths around the intersection;
- dedicated bicycle lanes on both approaches of Main North Road; and
- new and upgraded traffic signals, road lighting, line marking, and drainage.
*Click on the image above to download a copy of the draft concept design [1.98 MB]*
DIT COVID-19 Response
The Department will continue to tailor community engagement opportunities in line with the latest COVID-19 advice from health authorities.
We encourage the community to register for email updates.
Community and stakeholder consultation
Community and stakeholder consultation is important for the successful delivery of this project. As part of the project’s early concept design and review process, DIT invited the community to provide their feedback on the proposed design of the intersection upgrade. This consultation concluded on 20 March.
Receiving feedback from the community is important and will continue to help inform the development of the design.
If you have any further enquiries or would like to register your interest in receiving project updates, please: