- Main South Road Upgrade - Old Coach Road To Malpas Road
- Darlington Transport Study
- McLaren Vale Overpass
- North-south Corridor
- Northern Connector
- South Road Superway
- Southern Expressway Duplication
- Road Management Plans
- Southern Expressway
- Adelaide to Melbourne Road Corridor
- Main North Road Realignment via Anama Lane
- Main North Road/ Tiver Road/ Gordon Road Intersection Upgrade
- Gawler East Link Road Project
- Britannia Intersection Upgrade
- Main South Road RMP
- Main South Road Duplication
- North East Road and Sudholz Road Safety Improvements
- Greenhill Road Median Safety Improvements
- Penola Northern Bypass Project
- Fullarton Road Upgrade – Magill Road to Beulah Road
- Park Tce/Fitzroy Tce/Torrens Rd Upgrade
- Transverse Line Marking - Cudlee Creek
- Strzelecki Track Upgrade and Sealing Project
- Humbug Scrub Roundabout
- Main North Road Median Upgrade - George McCullum Road and Curtis Road
- Onkaparinga Valley Road / Woodside Road Roundabout
- Regional Road Projects
- South Eastern Freeway - Managed Motorway
- Goodwood, Springbank and Daws Road Intersection Upgrade
- Lobethal Freight Access Upgrade
- Blackwood Roundabout Upgrade Project
- Marion Road Planning Study
- Hahndorf Traffic Study
- Streets for People: Hart Street
- Fosters Road Painted Median Scheme
- Port Road, Queenstown bike lanes
- Greenhill Road and Portrush Road intersection safety upgrade
- Port Wakefield Overpass and Highway Duplication
- Regional Bridges Project
- Main North Road/Dalkeith Road Intersection Upgrade
- Joy Baluch AM Bridge Duplication
- Flagstaff Road Upgrade
- Golden Grove Road Upgrade
- Signalisation of Bridge Road and Maxwell Road, Pooraka
- Regency Road and Churchill Road, Prospect, Intersection Upgrade
- O.G. Road and Payneham Road Junction Upgrade
- Findon Road Painted Median Scheme
- Fullarton Road and Cross Road Intersection Upgrade
- Portrush and Magill Road Intersection Upgrade
- Arthur Road
- Glen Osmond and Fullarton Roads Intersection Upgrade
- Victor Harbor Road Duplication
- State-Wide Road Improvement and Renewal Works
- Modernising Road Maintenance
- Main North Road and Nottage Terrace Intersection Upgrade
- Main South Road, Candy Road and Lander Road Intersection Upgrade
- Kroemer Crossing Upgrade
- O G Road and Turner Street Junction Upgrade
- Main North Road, Kings and McIntyre Roads Intersection Upgrade
- Grand Junction, Hampstead and Briens Road Intersection Upgrade
- Mitcham Hills Road Corridor Upgrade
- Hahndorf Township Strategic Traffic Planning Study
- Port Road, West Lakes Boulevard and Cheltenham Parade intersection upgrade
- Adelaide Hills Intersections Upgrade Initiative
- Gawler Street Pedestrian Crossing, Nuriootpa
- Torrens Street and Crozier Road Roundabout
- Thomas Foods International access
- Blythewood Road Pedestrian Crossing and Painted Median Project
- Birkenhead Bridge
- Naracoorte Roundabout Upgrades
- North East Road & South Para Road Junction Upgrade
- Park Terrace, Robe Terrace, Walkerville Terrace and Mann Road Intersection Upgrade
- South Australian Rural Roads Safety Package
- Safety Upgrades on Eight Country Roads
Joy Baluch AM Bridge Duplication
The Australian and South Australian Governments have committed $200 million ($160 million from the Australian Government and $40 million from the South Australian Government) for the Joy Baluch AM Bridge Duplication Project.
The Joy Baluch AM Bridge is an important link in the National Land Transport Network at Port Augusta, providing access across the Spencer Gulf for commuter, commercial and freight vehicles in the northern region of South Australia. It is also a key tourist connection to the Eyre Peninsula, northern South Australia and beyond.
Preliminary planning work has been completed and detailed concept planning work is now underway, which will include further consultation.
The duplication of the bridge will improve road safety and efficiency for all users, improve freight productivity and importantly improve the resilience of this critical road link.
It will also address the current bridge speed restrictions and safety for people walking or cycling across the bridge.
The Port Wakefield to Port Augusta Alliance (PW2PA) a consortium of CPB Contractors Pty Ltd, Aurecon Pty Ltd and GHD Pty Ltd, and DPTI continue to work on the Joy Baluch AM Bridge Duplication and Port Wakefield Overpass and Highway Duplication projects, with design works progressing.
A dedicated PW2PA website is being created to provide up-to-date information on the design, construction activities and the progress of works for both projects. The website will also have information for individuals seeking employment and for businesses wanting to register an interest in the projects. Community members will also be able to contact the project team via an Alliance specific enquiries phone line and email address.These details will be publicised when they are available, which is expected in June 2020.
In the meantime, for all project related enquiries please continue to call DPTI on 1300 794 880 or email DPTI.CommunityRelations@sa.gov.au.
DPTI COVID-19 Response
To help safeguard the project team and the community, we have implemented measures to manage the risks of, and our response to, contracting COVID-19.
These include but are not limited to, increased hygiene practices and limiting face-to-face contact.
The project team will provide construction updates and work notifications via social media, letterbox drops, emails and the Project website. Please continue to call DPTI on 1300 794 880.
We encourage the community to register for email updates.
There will be no planned community events or information sessions until further notice.
Construction works for both projects are expected to commence in the second half of 2020, and be completed in 2022, weather permitting.
Feedback from the Community Information Sessions
The project team held two Community Information Sessions on 10 April 2019, and 11 April 2019, at the Port Augusta Central Oval Sporting Complex. In total 285 people attended the sessions.
The project received strong feedback from the community, including general support for the project, and feedback in relation to further potential improvements in pedestrian safety and road capacity.
Feedback from the community included:
- Concerns about the proposed raised bicycle lane on the existing Joy Baluch AM Bridge; and the possibility of this being converted to a shared use pedestrian and cycle path.
- Support for the proposed traffic light installation on the corner of Princes Highway and Mackay Street, and concerns expressed about the current difficulty turning right onto the Highway; and
- Concerns about pedestrian connectivity in the vicinity of Flinders Terrace.
Proposed works following feedback
Following consideration of this feedback, the concept design has been updated. The proposed works now include:
- Duplication of the current bridge, with a new road bridge to provide two lanes for eastbound traffic movements across the Spencer Gulf.
- Reconfiguration of the existing bridge to provide two lanes, and conversion of the raised bicycle lane, to now provide a shared use pedestrian and cycle path, for east and westbound movements
- Dedicated shared use pedestrian and cycle path. In addition, there will now be an extension of the shared use path along the Augusta Highway from the Mackay Street junction to Flinders Terrace intersection (new bridge side of Augusta Highway).
- Widening of approach road and embankments to achieve a continuous four lane road from Burgoyne Street to Mackay Street.
- Installation of traffic signals at the junction of Augusta Highway and Mackay Street. An additional second right turn lane at the junction, will also now be provided.
- Installation of bridge barriers to both the new and existing bridges.
- Improved earthquake resistance and barrier upgrade of the bridge over the Adelaide to Darwin railway line.
The Australian and South Australian Governments have announced the successful tenderer for the major works contract to form the Port Wakefield to Port Augusta Alliance.
A consortium of CPB Contractors Pty Ltd, Aurecon Pty Ltd and GHD Pty Ltd will design and construct the Joy Baluch AM Bridge Duplication and Port Wakefield Overpass and Highway Duplication works.
Project time frames
Major construction for the project is expected to commence in the second half of 2020, with completion expected in 2022, weather permitting.
$200 million ($160 million from the Australian Government and $40 million from the South Australian Government).
P: 1300 794 880