Golden Grove Road Upgrade Project supports Adelaide Koala Rescue
The $20 million Golden Grove Road upgrade is an important infrastructure project for residents in the north eastern suburbs. It aims to improve safety and traffic flow on Golden Grove Road helping motorists get home faster and safer.
While the removal of vegetation and trees is an unfortunate consequence of major infrastructure projects such as this, all efforts are made to reduce impacts and put the removed vegetation to good use.
Pleasingly, the project team has been able to assist the rescued koalas and their joeys at the Adelaide Koala Rescue by providing branches and gum leaves from trees removed as part of this project, to the rescue centre.
The branches will be re-used in an exercise and rehabilitation program for rescued animals affected by the recent bushfires, by helping them to climb and rebuild strength in readiness for relocation back into the wild, while the gum leaves contribute to the feeding program.
If you would like more information about the Adelaide Koala Rescue Centre or would like to make a donation, please visit their Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/koalarescue/ or contact them directly on: 0413 185 771.
Golden Grove Road Upgrade Project supports ‘Wood for Good’ (W4G)
The $20 million Golden Grove Road upgrade is an important infrastructure project for residents in the north eastern suburbs as it aims to improve safety and traffic flow on Golden Grove Road helping motorists get home faster and safer.
With the removal of vegetation and trees, all efforts are made to reduce impacts and put the removed vegetation to good use.
‘Wood for Good’ (W4G) has been engaged by the project team to take 60% of wood from trees removed as part of this project. W4G is a social enterprise company aimed at providing opportunity for Indigenous employment through the processing of firewood with all profits from sales donated towards Tier 1 charities such as St Vincent DePaul, Bright Futures, Adelaide Botanic Gardens and Motor Neurone Disease Research.
Additionally, W4G will donate to charities directly involved in the 2019-2020 bushfire recovery effort.
As part of their commitment to salvaging as much wood from the Golden Grove Road Upgrade Project as possible, W4G have been able to provide the following:
- Timber recycled and processed as firewood will be sold next winter through W4G. W4G is in final discussions with Indigenous Business Australia about Indigenous firewood bagging opportunities.
- Sawdust from firewood production to be donated to Adelaide Botanic Gardens to maintain sawdust trails.
- Foliage has been supplied to the Adelaide Koala Rescue Centre to contribute to their feeding program.
- Logs have been supplied to local schools for nature play and mulch supplied for landscaping school grounds.
- Logs and mulch has been provided to the Tea Tree Gully Council for use in local parks and gardens.
- Hollows have been salvaged and sent to the local quarry for wildlife habitat relocation.
- Large logs and mulch has been sent to the local quarry for habitat building and rehabilitation works.
Wood given to ‘Wood 4 Good’ with sales donated to charity; logs sent to local schools; foliage supplied to Adelaide Koala Rescue; and logs and mulch provided to the local quarry and Tea Tree Gully Council