- Find your next job opportunity
- Information for businesses and communities
- Community, Projects and People
- Public Transport Projects
- City Tram Extension
- Oaklands Crossing
- Port Dock Railway Line
- Gawler Rail Electrification Project
- O-Bahn Park 'n' Rides
- Hove Level Crossing Removal
- Ovingham Level Crossing Removal
- Rail Care
- Road Projects
- Main South Road Upgrade - Old Coach Road To Malpas Road
- Darlington Transport Study
- McLaren Vale Overpass
- North-south Corridor
- Northern Connector
- South Road Superway
- Southern Expressway Duplication
- Road Management Plans
- Southern Expressway
- Adelaide to Melbourne Road Corridor
- Main North Road Realignment via Anama Lane
- Main North Road/ Tiver Road/ Gordon Road Intersection Upgrade
- Gawler East Link Road Project
- Britannia Intersection Upgrade
- Main South Road RMP
- Main South Road Duplication
- North East Road and Sudholz Road Safety Improvements
- Greenhill Road Median Safety Improvements
- Penola Northern Bypass Project
- Fullarton Road Upgrade – Magill Road to Beulah Road
- Park Tce/Fitzroy Tce/Torrens Rd Upgrade
- Transverse Line Marking - Cudlee Creek
- Strzelecki Track Upgrade and Sealing Project
- Humbug Scrub Roundabout
- Main North Road Median Upgrade - George McCullum Road and Curtis Road
- Onkaparinga Valley Road / Woodside Road Roundabout
- Regional Road Projects
- South Eastern Freeway - Managed Motorway
- Goodwood, Springbank and Daws Road Intersection Upgrade
- Lobethal Freight Access Upgrade
- Blackwood Roundabout Upgrade Project
- Marion Road Planning Study
- Hahndorf Traffic Study
- Streets for People: Hart Street
- Fosters Road Painted Median Scheme
- Port Road, Queenstown bike lanes
- Greenhill Road and Portrush Road intersection safety upgrade
- Port Wakefield Overpass and Highway Duplication
- Regional Bridges Project
- Main North Road/Dalkeith Road Intersection Upgrade
- Joy Baluch AM Bridge Duplication
- Flagstaff Road Upgrade
- Golden Grove Road Upgrade
- Signalisation of Bridge Road and Maxwell Road, Pooraka
- Regency Road and Churchill Road, Prospect, Intersection Upgrade
- O.G. Road and Payneham Road Junction Upgrade
- Findon Road Painted Median Scheme
- Fullarton Road and Cross Road Intersection Upgrade
- Portrush and Magill Road Intersection Upgrade
- Arthur Road
- Glen Osmond and Fullarton Roads Intersection Upgrade
- Victor Harbor Road Duplication
- State-Wide Road Improvement and Renewal Works
- Modernising Road Maintenance
- Main North Road and Nottage Terrace Intersection Upgrade
- Main South Road, Candy Road and Lander Road Intersection Upgrade
- Kroemer Crossing Upgrade
- O G Road and Turner Street Junction Upgrade
- Main North Road, Kings and McIntyre Roads Intersection Upgrade
- Grand Junction, Hampstead and Briens Road Intersection Upgrade
- Mitcham Hills Road Corridor Upgrade
- Hahndorf Township Strategic Traffic Planning Study
- Port Road, West Lakes Boulevard and Cheltenham Parade intersection upgrade
- Adelaide Hills Intersections Upgrade Initiative
- Gawler Street Pedestrian Crossing, Nuriootpa
- Torrens Street and Crozier Road Roundabout
- Thomas Foods International access
- Blythewood Road Pedestrian Crossing and Painted Median Project
- Birkenhead Bridge
- Naracoorte Roundabout Upgrades
- North East Road & South Para Road Junction Upgrade
- Park Terrace, Robe Terrace, Walkerville Terrace and Mann Road Intersection Upgrade
- South Australian Rural Roads Safety Package
- Safety Upgrades on Eight Country Roads
- Infrastructure Projects
- Flinders Link Project
- Granite Island Causeway
- City Access Strategy
- Completed projects
- State Aquatic Centre and GP Plus Health Care Centre
- Adelaide Crafers Highway
- Bakewell Underpass
- Gawler Rail Revitalisation
- Belair Line Renewal
- Gallipoli Underpass
- LeFevre Peninsula
- Mawson Connector
- Northern Expressway
- Port Adelaide Viaduct Upgrade
- Port River Expressway
- Sturt Highway Upgrade
- Tramline Extension - City West to Adelaide Entertainment Centre
- Tramline Extension - Victoria Square to City West
- Victor Harbor Road / Main South Road Junction
- Riverbank Bridge
- Bald Hills Road Interchange
- Humbug Scrub Roundabout
- Useful Links
- Contact Infrastructure
- Building Projects
Ovingham Level Crossing Removal
The Australian and South Australian Governments have announced $231 million towards the removal of the level crossing at Torrens Road, Ovingham.
The crossing is located near the fringe of the Adelaide CBD on Torrens Road at Ovingham. An average of 21,300 vehicles pass through this level crossing each day.
The boom gates at Torrens Road, Ovingham are down for approximately 22 per cent of the time during the combined AM and PM peak periods.
The junction of Torrens Road and Churchill Road is approximately 100 metres from the level crossing.
Torrens Road crosses both the interstate rail line and the Gawler passenger rail line.
Removal of the level crossing will lead to improved:
- travel times for motorists
- reliability for buses using Torrens Road
- increased freight productivity
- safety for all road users (motorists, cyclists and pedestrians) by removing a road-rail crossing point
The project is in detailed planning and consultation stages to determine concept and preferred design. Early works are expected to begin in 2020 following the conclusion of detailed planning and design works.
Join the Conversation
We want to hear from you about what is important in your community and what you would like to see in the area.
You can provide feedback though the online engagement hub
Online feedback closes on Friday, 31 July 2020.
You can also sign up for email updates.
On Monday 15 June 2020, The South Australian Government has announced its preferred design for the Ovingham Level Crossing Removal Project, elevating Torrens Road over the Gawler railway line.
The Australian and South Australian Governments have allocated $231 million towards the removal of the level crossing at Torrens Road, Ovingham.
A planning study to investigate a range of options to remove Ovingham Level Crossing is complete and a preferred solution determined.
After considering all options and the characteristics of the local area, the government’s preferred option is to grade-separate and elevate Torrens Road over the Gawler passenger and freight railway lines.
The preferred design also involves the elevation of the western end of Churchill Road, which intersects with Torrens Road approximately 100 metres from the Ovingham Level Crossing heading towards the city, so that it meets the elevated height of Torrens Road.
DPTI COVID-19 Response
To help safeguard the DPTI project team and the community, we are having implemented measures to manage the risk of, and our response to, contracting COVID- 19.
These include but are not limited to, increased hygiene practices and limiting face-to-face contact.
The project team will provide construction updated and work notifications via social media, letterbox drops, emails and the Project website. We are also available to speak via telephone (1300 794 880).
The will be no planned community event or information sessions until further notice.
Tender for the delivery of the project has been announced and it’s expected that a contract will be awarded late this year.
Project Time Frames
Early works are expected to commence later this year with major construction to start in 2021 and project completion anticipated in 2023.
If you have any further enquiries or would like to register your interest in the project to receive updates, please: