Northern Connector Project
The $885 million Northern Connector will be a six-lane, 15.5 kilometre motorway providing a vital freight and commuter link between the Northern Expressway, South Road Superway and Port River Expressway.
This project will focus on delivering economic benefits to the local South Australian community including creating 480 full-time equivalent jobs each year during construction.
- At least 50% of all jobs to be filled by northern suburbs residents.
- At least 90% of on-site labour hours to be undertaken by South Australians.
- At least 20% of all on-site labour hours to be undertaken by ex-automotive industry workers, Aboriginal people, people facing barriers to employment and trainees and apprentices.
The Australian Government has committed $708 million to the project, with $177 million from the South Australian Government.
The motorway is scheduled to be open to traffic between late February and early March 2020, weather permitting. A Community Day will be held in February ahead of the motorway opening to traffic to give the community the opportunity to see the new road up close and thank them for their patience.
Northern Expressway on-ramp closure and detour - night works
Night works will be undertaken on the Northern Expressway on-ramp from Port Wakefield Road (northbound) with detours in place.
- From 8pm,Tuesday, 10 December, until 5am, Wednesday, 11 December, weather permitting.
Traffic Management: Access to the Northern Expressway will be maintained with two detour options (refer to map)
Hanson Road off-ramp closure and detour - night works
Please note the Hanson Road off-ramp from the Port River Expressway will be closed occasionally for night works until the end of December (refer to map). Further information including dates and times for these will be provided here when works are scheduled.
- From 8pm Wednesday, 11 December, until 5am Thursday, 12 December, and
- From 8pm Thursday, 12 December, until 5am Friday, 13 December, weather permitting.
A dedicated ‘Employment Development Team’ has been established to work closely with the Northern Connector Jobs Taskforce to maximise opportunities for local workers.
Please visit www.northhub.sa.gov.au for more information.