Northern Connector Project
The $885 million Northern Connector will be a six-lane, 15.5 kilometre motorway providing a vital freight and commuter link between the Northern Expressway, South Road Superway and Port River Expressway.
This project will focus on delivering economic benefits to the local South Australian community including creating 480 full-time equivalent jobs each year during construction.
- At least 50% of all jobs to be filled by northern suburbs residents.
- At least 90% of on-site labour hours to be undertaken by South Australians.
- At least 20% of all on-site labour hours to be undertaken by ex-automotive industry workers, Aboriginal people, people facing barriers to employment and trainees and apprentices.
The Australian Government has committed $708 million to the project, with $177 million from the South Australian Government.
The project is scheduled for completion in late 2019.
Northern Expressway and Port Wakefield Road night works and detours.
Opening of the Northern Expressway, temporary on-ramp, and Port Wakefield Road traffic switch
As part of the Northern Connector Project, the following works and changes will occur from the evening of Sunday 14 April:
- From 7pm Sunday 14 April to 6am Monday 15 April (weather permitting), the Northern Expressway (southbound) will be closed between Heaslip and Port Wakefield Roads. Port Wakefield Road (southbound) will also be closed between the Northern Expressway on and off ramps (southbound). Access to Port Wakefield Road southbound will be maintained via detours at the Northern Expressway/Heaslip Road interchange.
- From 5am Monday 15 April, northbound traffic on Port Wakefield Road, between Calvengrove and Old Port Wakefield Roads, Waterloo Corner, will switch to the recently removed median and the southbound lanes as part of construction for the Northern Interchange (refer to the map on the notification here). In addition, a new Northern Expressway temporary on-ramp will be opened, maintaining access for northbound traffic travelling from Port Wakefield Road to the Northern Expressway.
Speed and lane restrictions will apply in the vicinity of the works. Signage and traffic management will be in place to advise motorists of changed conditions and to direct motorists through the detours.
Thank you for your patience while these important works are undertaken.
Explore our interactive map to see what's happening locally
Click or tap on the dots to see how the new road and bridges are taking shape - and learn what this project means to our community. We will be adding more dots during the next few months, so keep exploring...
Click the icons on the map for project information
Check out this drone footage showing progress at the Northern Interchange and the extensive earthworks well underway for the construction of the 6 lane motorway.
Waterloo Corner Interchange overpass
A key milestone for the Northern Connector Project was achieved with the opening of the Waterloo Corner Interchange overpass to traffic in March 2019. Learn more here.
New beginnings for Rebecca
Meet Rebecca - one of the ex-Holden workers on the $885 million Northern Connector Project at Waterloo Corner. The project is providing jobs for former auto industry workers, with more than half the workforce to come from the northern suburbs.
Six Northern Connector employees achieved a Certificate II in Civil Construction. Learn more about how NorthHub facilitated this training here.
Port River Expressway Bridge Construction - January 2019
Another key milestone for the Northern Connector Project is nearing completion, with the new bridge over the Port River Expressway, which will connect the South Road Superway and the new Northern Connector, targeted for opening in the coming months.Learn more here.
International Women’s Day 2019
The Northern Connector Project Team celebrated International Women’s Day with a morning tea on site. See more here.
Concrete paving is underway!
Concrete paving is underway for South Australia's first major concrete road! Read more about this here.
South Road Superway on-ramp closure – January 2019
The South Road Superway on-ramp from the Port River Expressway (PREXY) is currently closed to facilitate the construction of the Southern Interchange.
A dedicated ‘Employment Development Team’ has been established to work closely with the Northern Connector Jobs Taskforce to maximise opportunities for local workers.
Please visit www.northhub.sa.gov.au for more information.