This statement is published in accordance with subsection 9 (2) of the Freedom of Information Act 1991 (FOI Act) . Subject to certain restrictions, the FOI Act gives members of the public a legally enforceable right to access information held by the South Australian Government. A comprehensive introduction to freedom of information can be found on the State Records website at http://www.archives.sa.gov.au/foi/index.html .
Structure and functions
Departmental functions and members of the public
The functions of the department affect the public both directly, in the form of service delivery to the community, and indirectly, through the department's policy and strategic management improvement activities. Such activities result in the department having an input into the wide range of government programs and initiatives.
The public has the opportunity to participate in the department's policy development in a number of ways, including community consultation forums, panels, surveys and membership of government boards and committees.
Documents held by the department
Documents held by the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure fall broadly into the categories described below. While most are available in hard copy, it should be noted that some are only available electronically. The listing of these categories does not necessarily mean all documents are accessible in full or in part under the Act.
The categories include:
- corporate files containing correspondence, memoranda and minutes on all aspects of the department's operations
- policies, procedures and guidelines prescribing the way various activities and programs are to be performed
- personnel files relating to the department's employees
- accounting and financial reports relating to the running of the department
- departmental annual reports, strategic plans and policy reports
- minutes of meetings and terms of reference
- documents relating to the functions of the department's divisions.
Making an application
In accordance with the Act, applications for access to documents held by an agency must:
- be made in writing (you may chose to write a letter or use the application form - http://www.archives.sa.gov.au/files/forms_foi_request_for_access.pdf
- specify that the application is made under the FOI Act
- be accompanied by the application fee (exemptions apply for Members of Parliament and pensioners or health card holders)
- specify an address in Australia to which information can be sent
- clearly identify the documents being sought or the matter to which they pertain
- specify whether the documents contain information of a personal nature
- specify the desired type of access to the document, such as inspection of the document at an arranged location or having a copy made.
Applications under the Act should be forwarded to:
The Accredited FOI Officer
Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure
GPO Box 1533
SOUTH AUSTRALIA SA 5001
The Senior Policy Officer, FOI can be telephoned on (08) 8204 8208.
Freedom of Information applications
The Freedom of Information Act gives members of the public a legally enforceable right of access (subject to certain restrictions) to documents within the possession of South Australian government agencies, local government authorities and South Australian Universities. The purpose of the Freedom of Information Act is to make the business of government open and accountable to the public. The department fully supports the objectives and spirit of the Act and is active in its endeavours to continually improve records management practices.